A leaked document alleges that US President Donald Trump’s Middle East plan has proposed an independent Palestinian state with a capital in East Jerusalem.
According to Israel’s Reshet 13TV channel, the plan leaked by its source who was briefed by Americans, the plan further says parts of the capital of East Jerusalem would exclude holy sites and 90 percent of the occupied West Bank.
Israel would annex Jewish settlement blocs in the West Bank and isolated settlements would either be evacuated or their construction cancelled, the TV channel claimed.
Trump apparently plans to leave East Jerusalem’s walled Old City, which is a site of major Christian, Muslim and Jewish shrines under Israel sovereignty together with joint management of the Palestine and Jordan, claimed the report.
Many Arab neighbourhoods in East Jerusalem would be under Palestinian authority marking its “future capital,” it alleged.
The White House described the allegations of Israeli TV as sensational and inaccurate speculation and said Trump’s Middle East plan will not be released any time soon.
Trump’s Middle East peace envoy, Jason Greenblatt, is one of the main master crafters of the plan, along with the president’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, alleged the report.
While I respect @BarakRavid, his report on Israel’s Ch. 13 is not accurate. Speculation about the content of the plan is not helpful. Very few people on the planet know what is in it… for now…
— Jason D. Greenblatt (@jdgreenblatt45) January 16, 2019
“Speculation about the content of the plan is not helpful. Very few people on the planet know what is in it. For now,” Greenblatt tweeted.
“Peddling false, distorted or biased stories to the media is irresponsible & harmful to the process. Israelis & Palestinians deserve better,” he added.
“Any peace plan that does not include an independent Palestinian state – with all of East Jerusalem as its capital – on the 1967 borders, is destined to fail,” the Palestinian Authority said on Wednesday, the Jerusalem Post reported.
“The rumours and leaks about the deal of the century, as well as ongoing attempts to find regional and international parties that would cooperate with this plan, are failed attempts that will reach a dead end,” said Nabil Abu Rudainek, spokesman for the Palestinian presidency in Ramallah.
He pointed out international resolutions with the principle of the two-state solution.
Trump had previously announced the plan, calling it “the deal of the century”, would be presented by the end of 2018, during a meeting with the Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in September in New York.
Israel’s ambassador to the United Nations, on the other hand, previously said the Trump plan would not be released before Israeli elections on April 9.