IPANEWS

UN’s Khashoggi investigator “disappointed” over Turkish authorities’ cooperation 

The United Nations investigator leading the international probe into the murder of Saudi Arabian dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi says she’s disappointed with the cooperation her team have received from the Turkish authorities do far.

Agnes Callamard told the reporters in Istanbul on Thursday she is disappointed with the lack of cooperation from Turkish authorities on sharing information on the case.

Callamard, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on an extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary killings, came to Turkey for a weeklong visit as part of the Khashoggi probe she is conducting with a team of experts.

Khashoggi was reportedly murdered and dismembered by a Saudi Arabian assassination squad after he entered the country’s consulate on October 2 to arrange documentation for his planned marriage.

Saudi authorities initially denied that he had been killed, but later admitted that he had died during a fight.

On Tuesday, the rapporteur visited the consulate in Istanbul but did not enter the premises as Saudi authorities have not yet granted access to the premises.

Callamard met with Istanbul’s Chief Prosecutor Irfan Fidan on Tuesday, a day after she held talks with Turkey’s foreign and justice ministers.

“We have had good meetings here, we are still a bit disappointed that we were not able to get all the information we requested related to the investigation,” said Callamard to the reporters, following a closed-door meeting with Hatice Cengiz, the fiancee of Khashoggi.

“But we are still hopeful that the authorities will be able to deliver on their commitment and hand over to us some of the information related to the police investigation,” she added.

The rapporteur said that she will be finishing her final report by late May and would present it to the UN’s Human Rights Council in June.

US and Turkish officials believe that Jamal Khashoggi’s murder was ordered from within the highest ranks of the Saudi regime, however, the kingdom has strictly denied the allegations and opposed any talk that crown prince Muhammed bin Salman was involved.

UN investigator denied access to Saudi Consulate in Istanbul

You might also like