Galatasaray title hopes knocked after 1-1 draw

Galatasaray’s title hopes took a knock over the weekend when they were only able to squeeze a 1-1 draw against Aytemiz Alanyaspor.

The draw leaves Galatasaray, who are placed second in Turkey’s Süper Lig, some eight points adrift of league leaders İstanbul Başakşehir, who are on 44 points following their 3-0 win against Akhisar.

Alanyaspor keep themselves mid-table with the draw on 25 points.

Angolan Djalmas Campos’ strike, four minutes into injury time at the end of the first half, came as an unexpected shock to the Lions supporters. They only had to wait until the seventh minute of the second half when midfielder Sofiane Feghouli equalized.

It was not an outcome that Galatasaray expected as they made the better start to the match. Within minutes of the kick-off Kostas Mitroglou in his first appearance for the Lions, headed a cross from Brazilian Fernando Reges, simply known as Fernando. Alanyaspor goalkeeper Haydar Yılmaz was alert to the danger, blocking the header.

However, following that attack Alanyaspor began to make serious headway in front of the Galatasaray goal. In the 12th center-forward Papas Cisse’s strike off a pass by minute midfielder Lucas Villafáñez was blocked by goalkeeper Fernando Muslera from the edge of the post.

Muslera was back in action in the 14th minute of the match, stopping a strike by Villafanez from just outside the penalty area.

In the 15th minute during an energetic and fervent encounter, Campos and Galatasaray’s Mariano Filho, simply known as Mariano, were injured.  As a result, Mariano could not continue the match and was replaced by Ömer Bayram.

In the 38th minute, Alanyaspor had another chance to take the lead with Junior Fernandes, who took the ball from a left cross and shot hard from outside the penalty area. Muslera got a hand to it, but could only control it on his second attempt.

Fernando earned the wrath of the referee and was shown a yellow card three minutes into the first half injury time.

It was moments before the first-half whistle blew that Campos’s strike shattered the Galatasaray supporters.

Galatasaray came all guns blazing in the second half, and this time it paid dividends when Feghouli scored in the 52nd from Younes Belhanda pass, leveling the match.

Galatasaray’s Mitroglou was substituted with Sinan Gümüş coming on in his place.

In the wake of the Galatasaray’s equalizer, Alanyaspor went on a hunt for a winner.

A highly dangerous attack on the 61st the minutes saw Junior Fernandes put the ball just wide.

Goal-scorer Feghouli was substituted in the 82nd minute and despite Alanyaspor making 13 shots on target to the five of the Lions, the score remained pegged at 1-1 for the rest of the match.

Match Facts:

Aytemiz Alanyaspor: 1 – Galatasaray: 1

Stadium: Bahçeşehir Okulları

Referees: Alper Ulusoy, Mustafa Emre Eyisoy and Volkan Ahmet Narinç

Aytemiz Alanyaspor: Haydar Yılmaz, Wanderson Carneiro (known simply as Baiano), Welinton Souza Silva (simply known as Welinton), Georgios Tzavellas, Fabrice N’sakala, Ceyhun Gülselam, Efecan Karaca, Djalma Campos, Lucas Villafanez (Min. 89 Taha Yalçıner), Junior Fernandes (Min. 80 Ozan Tufan), Papas Cisse (Min. 90+3 Josef Sural)

Galatasaray: Fernando Muslera, Mariano Filho (Min. 18 Ömer Bayram), Christian Luyindama, Marcao Teixeira, Martin Linnes, Fernando Reges, Sofiane Feghouli (Min. 82 Yunus Akgün), Henry Onyekuru, Badou Ndiaye, Younes Belhanda, Kostas Mitroglou (Min.55 Sinan Gümüş)

Goals: Min. 45+3 Djalma (Aytemiz Alanyaspor), Min. 52 Feghouli, (Galatasaray)

Yellow Cards: Min. 6 Luyindama, Min. 45+2 Fernando, Min.51 Ndiaye, Min. 90 Sinan Gümüş, Min 90+1 Marcao (Galatasaray) Min. 37 Villafanez, Min. 77 Welinton, Min. 90 Tzavellas (Aytemiz Alanyaspor)

You might also like