IPANEWS

Jordan, UAE, Turkey and Sudan violated sanctions on Libya – UN report

A report by the UN has revealed that Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, and Turkey have regularly violated its arms embargo imposed on Libya since 2011.

The report by UN experts also found that Sudan contravened the sanctions by deploying 1,000 of its troops to the war-torn country, Reuters reported on Monday.

The year-long study  monitoring the implementation of sanctions on Libya outlined that the three countries “routinely and sometimes blatantly supplied weapons with little effort to disguise the source.”

The report to the UN Security Council Libya sanctions committee, which was seen by Reuters on Monday also reportedly blamed Sudan and Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, head of Sudan’s Rapid Support Forces (RSF) known by his nickname Hemeti, for deploying 1,000 Sudanese troops to Libya.

Lana Nusseibeh, the United Arab Emirates ambassador to the UN, told Reuters that the UAE was “firmly committed to complying with its obligations under the Libya sanctions regime and all relevant Security Council resolutions.”

She added that she could not further interpret the findings of the UN report, which is due to be released in December, as she has not seen it yet.

According to Monday’s report, the UN missions of Jordan, Turkey, and Sudan did not immediately respond to a request by Reuters for comment on the accusations in the report prepared by independent UN experts.

Libya has been mired in chaos since a NATO-backed uprising in 2011 ousted its leader Muammar Gaddafi.

Since 2014, the country has been split between the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA), the internationally recognized government led by Fayez al Sarraj and General Khalifa Haftar’s Tobruk-based Libyan National Army (LNA) government.

Thousands of people have been killed in the fighting between Libya’s factions in the east and west since then.

While Turkey and Qatar have sided with the UN-backed GNA, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arap Emirates have been supporting Haftar’s LNA.

The study also said that over 50 people were killed and 130 more injured when a July airstrike hit a migrant detention center in Tripoli. The center has an estimated migrant population of 640,000 due to being one of the main departure points for migrants trying to reach Europe.

It was “highly probable” that the attack was conducted by a modern attack aircraft using precision-guided munitions “owned and operated by a member state acting in direct support” of Haftar, UN experts underlined.

They added that “the panel reserves identification of this member state until further physical evidence or imagery emerges to increase attribution confidence levels and continues to investigate the circumstances of the airstrikes.”

The report also stated that Sudan and Hemeti in July deployed 1,000 Sudanese troops to Libya to guard critical national infrastructure so Haftar’s forces could focus on their offensive launched against the internationally recognized GNA on Tripoli in April.

It was indicated in the report that Jordan and the United Arab Emirates supplied military material to Haftar’s forces, which then prompted Libya’s GNA to ask the Turkish government for help.

“The frontline of the fighting has remained fluid but constrained within narrow bounds since April. Neither side has the military capability to effectively decide the outcome to their advantage,” the experts said in reference to Haftar’s offensive.

Erdogan warns he will stop EU accession talks over drilling sanctions

You might also like