A total of 12 people including 10 Chinese tourists have been hospitalized on suspicion of coronavirus in Turkey’s central Anatolian province of Aksaray, daily Milliyet reported on Monday.
The precautionary measure was taken when a Chinese tourist went to the hospital with complaints of cough and fever.
Later, nine Chinese tourists and two Turkish citizens, a tour guide and a driver were also put under quarantine at the Aksaray Training and Research Hospital.
Speaking to reporters at his office Aksaray Governor Ali Manti denied the reports which said Chinese workers at the natural gas storage facility at Aksaray’s Tuz Lake were infected with the virus.
Keri Yesildag, the provincial health director said necessary analysis and tests were being carried out.
On the same day, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said there have been no confirmed cases of coronavirus in Turkey so far.
The death toll in China from the novel coronavirus outbreak has climbed to 81, the country’s health department said Monday.
Also known as 2019-nCoV, coronavirus which was first detected in China’s Wuhan city has infected nearly 3,000 Chinese people and claimed 81 lives so far, according to the National Health Commission.
Some more 5,794 suspected cases had also been reported.
The Chinese authorities have introduced a number of measures, such as putting several major cities in quarantine, to try to halt the spread of the virus as the World Health Organisation (WHO) warns the number of cases is likely to rise further.
The fast-spreading infection causes pneumonia-like symptoms, starting with a fever which is followed by a dry cough and shortness of breath.
There is no specific cure or vaccine yet.
The Chinese researchers mapped the genetic code of the virus and shared it with health authorities around the world in order to initiate the vaccine-making studies.