IPANEWS

Turkey confirms first coronavirus death, more than doubles cases to 98

Turkey confirmed late on Tuesday its first death related to the coronavir1us and the country more than doubled its confirmed cases to 98, from 47 a day earlier.

Health Minister Fahrettin Koca told a press conference that an 89-year old died after contracting the virus from someone who had contact with China, the epicenter of the global outbreak.

“People that are most severely affected by this disease are those with weak immune systems and those that have other illnesses. The elderly should be very cautious…I will give you very saddening news. For the first time, I have lost a [coronavirus] patient,” Duvar web portal quoted Koca as saying.

Koca also said the number of coronavirus cases in Turkey rose to 98, with 51 new cases confirmed.

Turkey confirmed its first case of the coronavirus early on March 11, becoming the last major economy to report an outbreak after taking what the World Health Organization (WHO) described as “vigilant, cautious” measures to delay the disease.

Since then, the government has taken a series of precautions against the spread of the virus, including temporarily shutting cafes, sports, and entertainment venues, suspending mass prayers in mosques.

Turkey closes cafes to prevent contagion as COVID-19 cases rise to 47

You might also like